Don't mention the weather


It's true to say that the weather has been unseasonal. To see the snow on the Pyrenees at this time of year is unheard of, so rare in fact it has made the news. So we're back to being truly British, discussing the weather on a daily basis. And I for one am not amused !

On Sunday however the sun broke through the clouds so we decided to take a 'drive'. Armed with one of His Lordships best picnics including a fine Petit Pont-L'évêque from Normandy oozing at the corners of the box we set forth. The countryside varies greatly as soon as you are on the road to Mirepoix. Along the way we stopped off at the tiny village of Malégoude for a cup of coffee from our trusty thermos flask. Wandering into the deserted church was like discovering somewhere that had lain untouched for many years. Deep green damp lined the walls and the ancient worn tiles had shifted and moved. A few old chairs were scattered around the alter on which a mournful and slightly chipped Madonna gazed down at solitary tea candles. Propped up against the wall was an old wooden bier which is rather like a large sledge only with feet on which to carry the deceased to their resting place. A leg had broken off and one could only wonder as to the reason. Had it occurred at a critical moment perhaps ?

We found a marvellous spot for our picnic. In the pretty village of Camon we sat under the bridge next to a gurgling river breathing in the tranquility and warmth. Just as we had spread out our feast along came the inevitable walking party, boot clad and breathing heavily. It happened to be the festival of roses that day and every doorway seemed to be adorned by a cascade of heavenly scents.

Meandering along the country lanes heading for home I spied a field full of beautiful creamy brown cows munching on the lush grass. Tip-toeing stealthily through the wild flowers which were in abundance I pointed my camera. They all stared at me ceasing their contented munching. You could have heard a pin drop. Time froze. In a split second they all turned their backs on me and began to slowly lumber along the hillside. Just the one paused and took a long hard look at me.

So near and yet so far. The story of my life.....

Comments

muddyboots said…
aren't we a sad lot comenting on the weather, some americans said to me on monday, 'eating ice cream in the rain is SUCH a British thing'.
Un Peu Loufoque said…
A Petit Pont-L'évêque yam yam my favourite.How delightful and serene it is down there in the south and what a joy to see snow on the Pyrannees! You are so lucky to live in such an incredibly idyllic spot Sally! Here it is raining so hard I may develop webbed feet!
countrymousie said…
Oh to be able to see the Pyrenees!
Lovely blog - felt I was there with you for a mo.
My blog today was about the Aga - I know you are a four-ovened girl -of which I do have aga envy!
Pyrenees, picnics and Agas - no contest really. love mousie
franx said…
Nice bloog and God Bless You

Cheers

Franx
Suffolkmum said…
Sounds like a heavenly picnic. I yearn to come to the south west of France again now. Lush meadows, snow on the pyrenees - perfect!
ChrisH said…
Oh God, sound so lovely, peace, quiet, hearing a pin drop. I've escaped for a few minutes to catch up so it was lovely to read about tranquility even if there isn't much of it here. Bob is soooo cute!
Sounds like a great picnic.

I do love the sound of your part of France, +you make it sound so idyllic.

Btw-we are still looking at 'going in' to a venture with a friend of hubbies. (Still a small matter of the money!)

warm wishes
x
Blossomcottage said…
Sounds like you had the most wonderful time, and I love the picture of the cows, glad you have had a bit of R and R.
Blossom
Pondside said…
What a nice day you had! It all sounds so exotic, to be having a picnic, visiting an ancient church etc. The photo of the cows has the look of an old painting - well done - you are a good photographer.
Exmoorjane said…
I've been away from the Chateau for far too long, or so it seems, so lovely to catch up.....
So you're a four-oven Aga bod? Now we're having to leave behind our two-oven red job, we're debating a biggie.... but wonder if it's worth it as we're not a large operation?! Thoughts??
janexxx
Faith said…
The picnic sounds lovely; I adore picnics. Wish I couldve seen inside the church too - i love that kind of eerie thing. have never been to France in my life.
Would it be too British of me to say that we're having the same weather here in the Alps?!
on catch up duty - lovely blog - loved the picture and Bob Marley
ChrisH said…
Sally, thank you for your kind thoughts. Cx
Cait O'Connor said…
I have a friend on holiday in France this week (Dordogne), the forecast was ominous. I don't mind the rain myself and can't stand the heat in the summer in the south of France. We stayed just by Ceret last year and it was too hot for me. I wilt I am afraid, it is my Irish blood!
Love the photo, love France,
aitx

Popular Posts