Photography in the Languedoc





There's barely a day goes by that I don't wax lyrical about the stunning photographic opportunities that present themselves down here in the Languedoc. Why just from my window alone throughout the changing seasons I'm always rushing to capture the moments as they present themselves. Landscapes ranging from fields of sunflowers and poppies, vineyards that have their own individual character through the seasons. In the winter they present themselves as wizened black Lowry type figures going on to become full and lush with grapes and then turning into a magnificent display of vibrant deep hues of reds and yellows. There are lakes, valleys, sites of historical interest, bustling colourful markets, all quintessential images of rural France. Is it any wonder I never get bored ?

On Sunday we pootled along the lanes to the onion fields. In front of us along the road stretched a line of nuns from the local Monastère de Prouille, which incidentally has been struck twice by lightening and survived. Their habits stretched out behind them as they strode out purposely along the road. It was a marvellous photographic shot with the undulating countryside dipping gently in the distance. A professional photographer would have captured the moment. I didn't.

We pulled up at the field. Exciting stuff. Rows and rows of glistening red onions that had already been harvested, these were the one's that were simply going to be ploughed back into the ground. My feet sunk into the fine warm soil, I'm still in flip flops you see, I suppose I could have equally been on a soft sandy Mediterranean beach. My fingers dug deep, easing out beauties and filling my finger nails with rich soil. In the distance a line of children ran alongside the vines, their laughter filling the air.

When we got home as well as laying out our onions in wooden trays we sat and looked at our days shots. There was one of me bending down deep in concentration at my task. 'Old peasant woman collecting onions' His Lordship said. The next frame came up on the screen. 'An even older peasant man collecting onions' I retorted.

Pays to be quick don't you think ?

Much later on I chased the sunset.

Comments

Cait O'Connor said…
Gorgeous Sally,just what I need on a grey and rainy morning. Thank you.
Un Peu Loufoque said…
Oh what splendid photo opportunities your wonderful area offer. How I wish I was down there to capture it on film and had the skill of course to do so..I do asore the Languedoc, it is like a coffe table photo montage of France waiting to be captured on film!

Lucky old you Sally, its raining here of course so wellintton weather rather than flipflops! I do wish you had posted the old man and woman collecitng onions !!
bodran... said…
And were are the pictures of the old onion pickers may i ask??...and still in flip flops i don't think i've had mine on this year xxx
muddyboots said…
just the photos to cheer up a grey day in the north of England
Pipany said…
Onion fields? I love onions! It does all sound rather wonderful Sally x
Frances said…
Thank you for my quick holiday, Sally. You write that "it pays to be quick," but it is some other lovely pace that I always find so welcoming in your posts!

The radiators are whistling in this apartment for the first time this fall, but as of this morning, I still have my pink flips on, too. Just not ready to give in to the coming chill.

xo
Pondside said…
It may 'pay to be quick' but it seems to me that there is a view around every bend ready to snatch one's breath away. The combination of Le Chateau's luxury and the region's photographic opportunities is unbeatable.
Fire Byrd said…
such evocative words,as ever. takes me straight there for a small time out in from listening to the pouring rain outside at the moment.
ChrisH said…
Have just read this and the previous post and concluded that you are a genious for being in a staggeringly beautiful WARM place whilst the rest of us are still staring at wall-to-wall rain. Stomps off feeling sorry for herself.
anyscribbles said…
You certainly are lucky. Our weather, ' a band of rain heading towards us this evening' according to the forecaster on the news!! Always sounds so lovely at the Chateau!
Scribble
Crystal Jigsaw said…
It sounds beautiful, Sally. I'm with Bodran - no flipflops!!

CJ xx
Exmoorjane said…
Hah, have to echo Chris! Sorry havent been by for a while (life sort of took over, in a not so wonderful way)....but just lovely to see your pics....and take a deep out-breath and imagine I'm there (and, now at last we have heating, I can almost do it!). Jxx
Grouse said…
Perfect photographic opportunities without a doubt: I know from my flying days its not just the scenery but the air quality and pressure that give that special essence to a picture and yours always have it in bucketloads - so I do hopeyou are available for tuition Sally- because you do seem to be able to capture a mood!
Withy Brook said…
What a simply lovely pen picture. Really took me there, with the aid of the beautiful pictures. Yes where are the old onion pickers?
Mrs ElderBerry said…
l do so love your site, tell me, are you near mirepoix?
Anonymous said…
Time to get picklin' my dear; or are you already? Mind not to eat too many. I love an onion tart, meself!
learn chinese said…
Thank you very much for sharing.
Through your blog, a lot of people including me of course have a chance to read and learn

from.
I have read some of your post and I really enjoyed reading it.
Thanks again and looking forward for more of your posting soon!
Andy Guo said…
At first I was marveled to see such a blog.Your blog is sparkling. It has a great appeal.

How are U able to cope such a lot. Meet me at
http://gwb-chinese.blogspot.com/
Waiting with curiosity. To know your innovation.

Popular Posts